Ignatius House is pleased to offer Tending the Flame, a program which trains participants over a two year period in the art of spiritual direction. The program is grounded in the Ignatian tradition and the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola.
Spiritual conversation was a central part of the early Jesuits’ ministry and still is today. As with the disciples on the road to Emmaus, spiritual conversation can open our eyes to the presence of the divine in our lives. The disciples, upon reflection, said “Were not our hearts burning within us?” It was spiritual conversation that kept the flame of faith alive in their hearts.
The role of the spiritual director is not to create that flame (only God can do this), but to tend it. We companion a fellow Christian on their journey with God and invite them to examine the ways God’s spirit is moving in their lived experience.
- One weeklong residency per year at Ignatius House Retreat Center in Atlanta, GA
- Opening residency: January 7 – 14, 2024
- 8-night silent directed retreat: January 5 – 13, 2025
- One supervised prayer retreat at Ignatius House per year
- 3-night: May 30 – June 2, 2024
- 5-night: June 5 – 10, 2025
- Closing retreat at Ignatius House: December 12 – 14, 2025
- Online: Zoom components include 7-8 Saturday mornings and 7-8 Wednesday evenings per year
Cost: $4,000 for the 2 year program. Tuition includes in-person residencies at Ignatius House.
- Completion of the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius retreat, 19th Annotation in daily life or 30 day format
- Experience of a 5-night Ignatian Individually Directed Retreat
- Regular participation in an individual and communal faith practice
- Receive monthly spiritual direction
To begin the application process, please contact:
Tending the Flame Spiritual Direction Formation Program Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org | 404.255.0503, ext. 246
The full application will be emailed to the candidates after the initial interview.
All applications and references must be received by September 1, 2023